KCPolski

KCPolski

Thinker's Way

Thinker's Way - I'm glad I stumbled on this book in Powell's Books when I was in Portland for work several years ago. Many life changes took place after I bought it, so it sat in a box as I bounced around the country, but I finally got around to reading it.

I agree with the author's premise that we are becoming an "unthinking" society, and I believe it is even worse than when he first wrote this book about 12 years ago. But Dr. Chaffee presents a set of traits we can develop to return ourselves to a life that prizes the unique human gift -- the intellect.

I would not call this a true self-help book, and maybe that's why I found it in the used books, out of print. It provides the reader with some habits to incorporate in life, or perhaps it is better to call it a framework. But that's as far as he goes. He does not tell you what to think. He gives you the framework for thinking for yourself, and leaves the rest up to you. Form your own opinions, but form them with reason.

One of the things I particularly liked about the book was the assessment at the end of each chapter. Although I have good critical thinking skills, I still found some areas of weakness that I need to improve.

I felt the writing was accessible, and I would be curious to see how his book on critical thinking directed at college students compares to this book.