KCPolski

KCPolski

The Profiler: My Life Hunting Serial Killers and Psychopaths

The Profiler: My Life Hunting Serial Killers and Psychopaths - Pat Brown, Bob Andelman I can't review this book from an informed position on whether Ms. Brown is a good profiler or not. As one who has an interest in abnormal and/or criminal psychology, I thought this was an interesting book. However, I was hoping this book would be more about HOW criminal profiling is done. Not a textbook on the subject mind you, but a little more insight on the process.

It wasn't completely devoid of insight. As Ms. Brown discussed some past cases that she profiled, a little bit of her thinking and approach leaked out into the text, but not as much as I had hoped. And it didn't help me answer the question I hoped to answer by picking up the book: Is this a line of work I have an aptitude for and would be interested in doing?

I thought the chapter about her childhood was superfluous, but the rest of the back story that led her into criminal profiling was interesting. She could have covered that information in a paragraph or two, and that would have been sufficient.

If you are interested in criminal psychology, the mind of a serial killer; if you watch shows like "Criminal Minds" and "Dexter;" you will enjoy this book, but don't expect it to be a book that really breaks down the process of criminal profiling.