KCPolski

KCPolski

The Murrow Boys: Pioneers on the Front Lines of Broadcast Journalism

Prison Religion: Faith-Based Reform and the Constitution - Winnifred Fallers Sullivan To me, Murrow has always stood out as "The Man Who Took On McCarthy." I knew about his history of reporting from London during the Blitz and "creating broadcast journalism," but put more weight on the McCarthy pieces he did. This book not only presented a more rounded view of Murrow for me, but I also gained a much-needed understanding of the people Murrow put together during the war; the people who made a name for Murrow more than he did for himself. These were people who lived an adventure, and mostly got shoved aside and forgotten in the days of television.

The writers seemed to cover a wealth of documentary evidence to put this picture together of The Murrow Boys, but they were also able to present the material in a way that kept me turning the pages. The stories were often intertwined, and the way the authors covered the different threads, quickly transitioning to another perspective of the same events, made the read seem more narrative than documentary, but without seeming to compromise the quest for accuracy.

If you have an interest in broadcast journalism, I highly recommend this book.